Sunday 27 November 2011

Us against the world

Watching the movie Warrior, released in 2011 brought back memories of me and my brother. 


The movie tells the tale of two brothers who fight against each other in a tournament. Though brothers, they lived as strangers as they had been separated from young when their parents divorced.
My younger brother is 7 years my junior. Though he is young he is mature beyond his years or I am immature for my age. Perhaps that's why we click?:)

I remember when we used to shower together *a long time ago* because you were afraid to shower alone.

I remember when Mum scolded us when we threw clothes from the floor at each other because it had landed on her.

I remember you standing around me sheepishly as I lay on the sofa watching tv, and out of nowhere you'd turn and jump on me and lie down.

I remember when we played team games, it'd always be me and you against Mich and Angie and your reasoning was that "brothers must always stick together".

I remember racing against you in the park, despite having a head start, you would pull my shirt to slow me down whenever I overtook you.

I remember stuffing our shirts with pillows and pretending we were sumo wrestlers.

I remember when Mum asked you who you wanted to pick you up from tuition, you'd say Ko all the time.

I still wonder why is that you call me Ko ko yet you don't call Michelle or Angela Jie jie. There was this time when I was back in Kuching and I was on the phone talking to Mich. She asked me to spend time with you while I could. She said that you looked up to me and blind as I was to see it, everybody else saw it. 

Shaun, I'm sorry for neglecting you when I was back home. I'm sorry for being so lazy in getting up from my occasional naps to accompany you to go the park. I'm sorry for getting angry at you in McD when you refused to help. I'm sorry for leaving a shadow for you to fill as a younger brother. 

My biggest fear now is that we'd end up as strangers instead of brothers being so far apart now. Perhaps that was why I was really touched by Brendan and Tommy Conlon's strained relationship in Warriors. I hope and pray that you'll grow up to be fine man Shaun. I'm proud of who you are and is to be.

I dedicate this post to you Shaun, my younger brother.


Perhaps you'll stumble on this post one day. Hopefully :)

No comments:

Post a Comment