Sunday 13 November 2011

Details in the fabric.


Honestly, how can you not smile when you're blessed with such a sight. This is Ashwen, Dr Siew's dog. (I think that's how she's spelt).

Visited my dad's friend Dr Siew at York Mills today. It was nice, taking a break from the hectic week, of constantly checking for assignment deadlines, studying, prepping for tests. To be able to enjoy a home cooked lunch, and be treated with superb hospitality, life is indeed awesome.

While on the subway, I noticed a few things. The surprised look of friends meeting each other, hugging and asking about each other. Couples entering and staring at each other, oblivious to the world around them. Their world was each other. A tired looking man, by the side of the subway train door, constantly checking his watch. Probably anxious to get home to his family.

An elderly lady walks in, and she has nowhere to sit as every seat is occupied. I glanced around and saw that no one was giving up their seats. I'm not trying to say I'm being noble here, I'm just trying to say that she smiled when I got up and asked her whether she'd like to seat down. I left the train a few stops later, wishing her to have a good day. She looked back, a bit shocked I suppose, and she smiled and said thank you.

Do you know how good it feels to do something worthwhile? To see someone smile. And know that if not forever, at least, for that very moment, they were genuinely happy. Isn't that what living is all about?

I went back smiling.

2 comments: